Can I do an eye exam online?
What is included in an eye exam?
The patient will interact with the doctors and staff in six areas:
- Staff guided pretesting for baseline numbers
- Discuss your vision needs and any symptoms or concerns with the doctors
- Health exam of the eye is performed
- Review retinal images
- Prescriptions for glasses, computer glasses, sunglasses and or contact lenses is measured and the benefits of each explained
- Follow up appointments for children’s success, myopia management and eye problems like cataracts is scheduled.
What diseases can be detected in an eye exam?
Systemic diseases including diabetes, hypertension and artery disease, thyroid, MS, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus have ocular signs the doctor can see.
Eye problems (disease) with cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma, dry or red eyes, chronic allergies and extreme nearsighted (myopic) maculopathy is part of the annual exam.
How often do I need an eye exam?
An annual eye exam is recommended for all children through college age adults. Healthy adults are seen every 12 to 18 months, and when their job requirements (vision) change.
Is it necessary for the doctor to dilate my pupils during the exam?
No. Retinal images or Optos-type scans are done routinely while dilation can be important for some pediatric exams and all eye diseases.